[Tutor] (SIP installation problem) Best way to install Python 3 onto Windows 10

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 16 13:56:47 EDT 2016

On 16/03/16 12:46, CMG Thrissur wrote:
> > Personally I always install ActiveState Python on
> > Windows

> I  tried to install activestate on win 10 but due to my ignorance or
> lack of knowlege i could n't get to install pyqt or sip. i tried it
> through pip.

Active state only installs standard Python. PyQt (and SIP) are
comparatively
exotic additions and you will need separate installers for those.
I have no experience of either so can't help you, but I've CCd the list
to widen the exposure. But you should probably try asking on the PyQt
and side forums too, there is more likelihood of somebody there knowing
the answer.

> Even on basic installation i am getting it hard to find installation
of sip.

I confess i'm not sure which SIP you mean? Google suggests a C/C++
bindings generator which might make sense if that's what PyQt uses,
although I'd expect all the bindings to be done for you.
Are you sure you really need it to use PyQt?

> But Winpython portable version works like a charm on windows.

Again I'm not familiar with Winpython. Google tells me its a "scientific"
distro for windows, so I assume similar to Anaconda. If it works, why
not just use it?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site