[Tutor] Citing Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 16 06:21:09 EDT 2016

On 16/03/16 03:02, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>> I'm not sure a citation is strictly necessary for a programming
>> language, but if you want to you could cite the Python web site.
>> Would you cite JavaScript, CSS or HTML if you built a website?
>> Or SQL if you built a database?
>
> If the dissertation was *about* the database, or website, certainly you
> would.

Ah, yes, that's true. Being an electrical engineer by
profession/training I tend to forget that some people do
actually write theses *about* computer programs rather than
just write programs to support their work.

If it were the latter I probably would mention the language
(and compiler if relevant) in the text, maybe even provide URLs)
but not provide full formal citations. But if I was actually
describing the program itself then full citations make sense.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site