[Tutor] Changing the interpreter prompt symbol from ">>>" to ???

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:45:25 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 7:35 PM, boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the following result in PowerShell related to what Eryk has been discussing?
>
> Windows PowerShell
> Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> PS C:\Windows\system32> py
> Python 3.5.1 (v3.5.1:37a07cee5969, Dec  6 2015, 01:54:25) [MSC v.1900
> 64 bit (AMD64)] on w
> in32
> Active code page: 65001
> ► help(print)
> Not enough memory.

Apparently this is another consequence of setting the code page to 65001.  See

https://bugs.python.org/issue19914

I am now wondering which is better:  Adopt the solution suggested
earlier by Eryk, applying that Python monkey patch and using utf-16 or
doing something more drastic, like installing Cygwin.  What are the
cons in doing the latter?  Will I achieve Unicode harmony under
Windows by using Cygwin?

--
boB