[Tutor] FASTA FILE SUB-SEQUENCE EXTRACTION

Danny Yoo danny.yoo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 19:39:51 EST 2016

You should probably look into Biopython:

   http://biopython.org/wiki/Main_Page

Your question should involve fairly straightforward use of the Seq methods
of Biopython. You should not try to write your own FASTA parser: Biopython
comes with a good one already.

Note that the tutor mailing list is not entirely general: the questions
here are expected to be beginner-level.  Bioinformatics questions are a bit
out of scope for tutor @python.org, since they involve a specialized domain
that our participants here won't probably be very familiar with.

The last times I participated, the Biopython forums were very active.  You
should check them out:

    http://biopython.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

Good luck!