[Tutor] OT: Recommendations for a Linux distribution to dual-boot with Win7-64 bit

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 28 12:58:14 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 07:58:22AM -0700, Alex Kleider wrote:

> On 2016-06-27 20:48, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> >Also Debian. Not Ubuntu.
>
> Can you elaborate why you specifically exclude Ubuntu?

I've been bitten by an Ubuntu install where half of the GUI apps were
unstable and simply didn't work. They either wouldn't launch at all, or
they'd launch and as soon as you tried to do something they'd crash. And
no, it wasn't using the unstable repo.

And then Ubuntu went to Unity, and a few other annoyances which
individually wouldn't matter much, but the overall feel is just ...
wrong. For instance, Mark Shuttleworth is now suggesting that Ubuntu is
going to lead the way to a brave new world of package management "snap":

http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/

No thank you, I don't want to get my software directly from the vendor,
at least not exclusively.

I just get the feeling that Ubuntu is keen to disrupt working systems
just for the sake of disruption, and that the community is filled with
the Cascade of Attention-Deficit Teenagers that Jamie Zawinski
thinks so highly of </sarcasm>.

And then I noticed that they have a *tutorial* to teach people how to
sign their Code Of Conduct, said tutorial starting with "First, create a
Launchpad account":

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Forums/CoCSA_Tutorial

at which point I decided they've lost the plot.

I think at this point probably the only thing which would get me to go
back to Ubuntu is if they said "You know what, systemd actually is a
terrible idea" and didn't replace it with something worse.

--
Steve