[Tutor] Desperately need help to uninstall python from my mac

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 15:10:24 EDT 2016

On 03/06/16 17:18, Christian Carbone via Tutor wrote:

> As the subject line indicates, I really need help uninstalling python on my mac..

You almost certainly don;t want to to do that! Your Mac will stop
working properly, it uses Python. That's why its installed by
default on Macs.

> The reason i (think i) need to uninstall python is that when i open
> IDLE i get this warning:
> "WARNING: The version of Tcl/Tk (8.5.9) in use may be unstable.

OK, So you have IDLE which is not ion a Mac by default so maybe you
installed an extra version of Python and you want to uninstall that?
Thats a very different thing that uninstalling Python entirely.

But the warning only says the version of Tcl/Tk *may* be unstable.
Does IDLE in fact work? If it doesn't can you replace the Tcl/Tk
libraries rather than Python?

> Visit http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/ for current information.".

Did you read that page?
Did you do what it suggested and install an ActiveState version
of Tcl/Tk for MAC?

Which versions of MacOS and Python are you using?

> I've heard i need to install a system appropriate tcl/tk (which i
> believe i have done) before reinstalling python,

What makes you believe it? Which version did you install?
Where did you get it?

> but seeing as i cannot uninstall python I do not see any way
> to resolve this issue.

Once we understand which version of Python you installed we
can start to consider whether/how you need to uninstall it.
What you should not do is try to uninstall the system version
of Python used by MacOS.

> Python.org doesn't seem to have any information that addresses
> this problem, so I have come here in hopes of some guidance.

Did you read this page:

https://docs.python.org/3/using/mac.html

It doesn't explicitly tell you how to uninstall it, but it
does tell you what is installed, and where...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site