[Tutor] python programmin problem

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 05:01:49 EDT 2016

On 28/07/16 05:53, monikajg at netzero.net wrote:
> I have been looking for tutorials but could not find anything
> at my level of understanding.  You said to not focus on python
> but I had a python teacher ... stressing on doing things in
> "pythonic" way.

When learning to program there are two aspects to be considered.

There are the generic "software engineering" skills that
apply to any language. These are concerned with things
like data structures, algorithms, architecture and so on.

Then there are the programming languages which each have their
own ways of doing things. They all do the same basic operations
(sequences, loops, branches, modules) but they all do it
slightly differently. Then on top of the basic syntax they
also have their own idioms - the standard practices developed
by that language community. The language style if you like.

The software 3engineering bit only needs to be learned once.
Whereas the language stuff is re-learned for each language.
But you need the software engineering background before
you start worrying about the details of a particular
language and that's the bit that you seem to be weaker
on just now.

So Danny's advice to focus on algorithm development is part
of the generic skills you need to be a good programmer in
any language. Your teacher's advice is about learning the
specifics of Python. You need to do both eventually but
you should probably focus initially on the more generic
aspects. Once you know how to solve the problems then you
can worry about expressing that solution in any particular
language.

This list can help you with both aspects. Just ask when
you have a question.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site