[Tutor] Help me out please

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Thu Jul 21 01:38:05 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Marc Sànchez Quibus
<sanchezquibus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> First of all I'm gonan introduce myself. My name is Marc and I'm a student
> and also a python's programmer begginer. I've been studying/learning python
> and now I need some help to finish my project.
> I have two scripts, one of them in python (the main script) and the other
> one written in html. Well, is just a brief javascript (an app) that I took
> by Github. I need to change a variable inside this html script. I was
> wondering wether I could change this variable from my python script or not.
> Is there some way to do it?

Hi Marc,

Yes.  You might want to read something like this to get some
background.  Phil Greenspun's Guide to Web Publishing:

    http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/

Specifically, the chapter "Sites that are really progarms".

    http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/server-programming

You mentioned that you have two scripts, one in Python and the other in HTML.

A web site can be seen as this: something that (1) takes in a web
request sent by a browser, and (2) spits out a web response.

A static web site takes in a web request, looks for an appropriate
file, and prints that file back as a web response.  But that's not the
only way we can build web responses.  A programmatic web site can take
that request and *generate* a web page on the fly.  A web site can
actually be a program: not just a plain text file.

There are a lot of resources to teach how to write programs that serve
web sites.  Another by the same author is
http://philip.greenspun.com/seia/, which goes into a lot more detail.