[Tutor] Counting and grouping dictionary values in Python 2.7

Bruce Dykes bkd69ster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:20:46 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org>
wrote:

> On 08/07/16 14:22, Bruce Dykes wrote:
>
> > with it is writing the list of dictionaries to a .csv file, and to date,
> > we've been able to get by doing some basic analysis by simply using grep
> > and wc, but I need to do more with it now.
>
> I'm a big fan of using the right tool for the job.
> If you got your data in CSV have you considered using a
> spreadsheet to read the data and analyse it? They have lots
> of formulae and stats functions built in and can do really
> cool graphs etc and can read csv files natively.
>
> Python might be a better tool if you want regular identical reports, say
> on a daily basis, but for ad-hoc analysis, or at least till you know
> exactly what you need, Excel or Calc are possibly better tools.

We can and have used spreadsheets for small ad-hoc things, but no, we need
two things, first, as noted, a daily report with various basic analyses,
mainly totals, and percentages, and second, possibly, some near-current
alarm checks, depending. That's less important, actually, but it might be a
nice convenience. In the first instance, we want the reports to be accessed
and displayed as web pages. Now, likewise, I'm sure there's a CMS that
might make semi-quick work of this as well, but really, all I need to do is
to display some web pages and run some cgi scripts.

bkd