[Tutor] How do I test file operations (Such as opening, reading, writing, etc.)?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 29 04:44:19 EST 2016

On 29/01/16 04:58, boB Stepp wrote:

> I'll ask you the same question that I asked Danny:  Do you have a
> favorite text which teaches OOP the way you feel it should be taught?
> And if possible, Python-based?

I have three; depending on your level of interest :-)

1) OO Design by Grady Booch.
But it has to be the first edition - try your library.
He teaches it by way of projects, each in a different
language, showing how to adapt the pure OOP ideas to
the target language.(Smalltalk, Object Pascal, C++,
ADA and Lisp) (He also teaches his design notation
which you can almost ignore because UML has replaced it.)

2) OOA by Coad & Yourdon. A lightweight( intro to OO
concepts without much code at all. Purely at the
analysis level. They also did an OOD book which does
feature some code and focuses on how to partition
an app but the OOA book is better.

3) OO Software Construction by B Meyer (2nd edition
this time) The daddy of OOP books. Its massive
(1200+pages), very detailed and at quite an academic
level but covers every facet of OOP you can imagine.
But its in Eiffel - Meyers own language which is
possibly the best (as in clean and complete) software
engineering language ever invented but in practice
hardly ever used.

I'd start with Coad. But borrow from a library rather
than buy (unless you can get it for pennies on Amazon
marketplace etc). But Booch is probably better overall
for practical application of the ideas and discussing
how OOP applies at the code level. Myer is for the
pure theory side of things.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site