[Tutor] Why is an OrderedDict not sliceable?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 21 12:00:10 EST 2016

Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> writes:

> According to a narrow definition of indexed access. I would say that
> d[k] is index access even if d is a dict and k a key.

An index implies the ordinal position in a sequence. In a mapping, the
key is *not* referring to the position in a sequence, so is not a key.

So accessing an item in a mapping by key is not indexed access.

--
 \         “When we pray to God we must be seeking nothing — nothing.” |
  `\                                                —Francis of Assisi |