[Tutor] Syntax error

Sarah Rasco sarah.a.rasco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 08:40:49 EST 2016

Hello,

I'm new to programming and was told that Python would be a good language to
start with. I downloaded version 3.5.1, and I have Windows 10.

In IDLE, I typed print ("Hello, world!") and hit enter, and it returned the
message. I saved the file as hello.py in C:\python. Then, when I tried to
run it in IDLE, I got a syntax error and it highlighted the '5' in the
prompt 'python 3.5.1'.

I also tried to run it in my windows command prompt. I put in cd C:\python
and it gave me the python prompt. Then, when I tried to open the file by
typing python hello.py, I was given a syntax error again. Does anyone have
any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Thank you!