[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 143, Issue 6

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 4 12:35:18 EST 2016

On 04/01/16 17:22, yehudak . wrote:
> Dear gentlemen.
> This discussion gave me the pleasure of watching two programmers clash head
> to head.

I'm not sure we were clashing. I actually agreed with most of what Steve
said. I simply clarified the intent of one aspect of his post.

To summarize:

For the specific case that you posted, where there is little or
no string concatenation or additional formatting to be done, there
is not much need to use format(). However, many programmers
(including the one you referred to in your initial post)
prefer it because it eases maintenance in bigger programs
where more specific and consistent output is required.

More subjectively, some people find a format style output easier
to read. Others prefer the comma separated list of a print
statement.

> I got here a lot of knowledge that no book covers.

That's what the tutor list is for ;-)

But please stop sending all the previously seen content from
the digest and please change the subject line, not least so
that searches of the list archive can find the messages.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site