[Tutor] ImportError: cannot import name

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Aug 30 20:25:17 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:25:44AM +0200, fa306795 at skynet.be wrote:
> Hello,
> I use python 3.5.1 and try to import sompy and get the following error:
>
> File "C:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\sompy-1.0-py3.5.egg\sompy\__init__.py",
> line 30, in <module>     from sompy import SOMFactory
>
> ImportError: cannot import name 'SOMFactory'
>
> What could cause such an error? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lots of things.

(1) Check the spelling. Python is case-sensitive, so SOMFactory is not
the same as SomFactory or SOMfactory or somfactory.

(2) Do you have your own file called "sompy.py" somewhere? If so, that
will block access to the real one.

(3) Are you sure that sompy supports Python 3.5?

(4) Are you sure that SOMFactory actually exists? I don't see it in any
of the five notebooks here:

https://github.com/sevamoo/SOMPY

although maybe I've missed something.

It might help if you can copy and paste the FULL traceback showing
exactly what line of code failed and the precise sequence of calls.
Please COPY and PASTE (don't retype from memory, or summarise, and
especially don't take a screenshot) the entire traceback, starting with
the line

Traceback (most recent call last):

all the way to the end. Then we will have a better idea of what is going
on.

--
Steve