[Tutor] pytsk

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pytut at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:40:18 EDT 2016

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Tees, Peter (EthosEnergy)
<Peter.Tees at ethosenergygroup.com> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm pretty new to Python and programming, I've done the first four modules of the Python course at Coursera.org to get started
>
> Now I want to put what I've learned to good use, based on the articles by David Cowen at the Hacking Exposed blog and in particular his series "Automating DFIR - How to series on programming libtsk with Python" (which is Python 2.7, same as Coursera.org)
>
> The very first thing to be done, after installing Python, is to grab a Windows installer for the pytsk library from here https://github.com/log2timeline/l2tbinaries/blob/master/win32/pytsk3-4.1.3-20140506.win32-py2.7.msi
>
> But that link doesn't work (Page 404), and any other downloads I've seen so far refer either to binding to The Sleuthkit or refer to pytsk3 which I don't think is what I need
>
> Can anyone point me to a Windows 32-bit installer for a pytsk library that will work with Python 2.7?

I can't find one easily, but it does look like pytsk3 is what you want
-- looking at the link you provided, the name is 'pytsk3-...'.  So
what should be sufficient is to install the Microsoft Visual C++
Compiler for Python 2.7 [1], then run 'python -m pip install pytsk3'.
That should be enough to get you going.

[1] https://aka.ms/vcpython27

Hope this helps,
--