[Tutor] Help with python

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Apr 19 05:13:59 EDT 2016

On 19/04/2016 10:03, Alan Gauld wrote:
> However, for now, you probably want to use IDLE which should
> come with Python. (It is sometimes called Python GUI on
> Windows too.)
>
> You should find it under Python in your All Programs view.

In any recent version of Windows (ie Vista & later) the most common way
to find a program is to press the "Start" button or the "Windows" key
and just start typing its name -- ie rather than actually navigating
through a cascade of menus. (I think on other systems this is called a
"Finder" or "Launcher" or something).

In this particular case, pressing "Start/Windows" and typing "IDLE"
gives -- in my case -- several options, including 3.4 64-bit etc.
Hopefully, for the OP, there will be just one.

The same for the getting a command prompt up: press "Start/Windows" and
type "Command". Obviously it will depend on what's installed but for me
the "Command Prompt" icon is the top of the resulting search list.

Hope that helps people who are not used to (recent) Windows and are
trying to advise novice users.

TJG