[Tutor] stx, etx (\x02, \x03)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 27 21:27:24 CEST 2015

On 22/09/15 15:44, richard kappler wrote:

> gives me:
> line 1 starts with the \x02 hex then the line
> line 2 is the \xo3 hex alone
> line 3 starts with the \x02 hex then the line
> line 4 is the \x03 hex alone
> lather rinse repeat.

Silly possibility but are your lines fixed length?
And if so might they be the width of your terminal/display
so the lines are wrapping?
Can you broaden the display to see if they unwrap?

Just a wild idea...

> So I mispoke, please accept my apology, it wasn't exactly the same result
> as my original code, it put the \x03 on it's own line.
>
> Oddly enough, I'm wondering if it's the xml that's making things screwy.

XML always makes things screwy since it doesn't have the concept
of lines. If you are working with XML you should be parsing it
using a proper XML parser (eg lxml) and reassembling it similarly.
Thinking of XML and lines is nearly always a bad place to start.
XML is a continuous text stream that sometimes is presented as
a set of lines to humans.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site