[Tutor] Mutable data type in python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 3 01:35:56 CEST 2015

On 02/10/15 17:52, Anshu Kumar wrote:

> When we invoke the same function inside a function (recursive function), i
> want to keep track of some data across all function invocation so i should
> have shareable type but built in data types string, int are not helping as
> they are immutable they are changed while next invocation.

Show us some code and we will understand exactly what you are struggling
with. I think I know, but it would be easier if
you give a specific short example.

> I could use lists which are mutable but sometimes i find it not suitable
> for example when i need only single number or string.

You can create a closure using a list, or you could use a global
or you could just use a lot of parameters/return values. But
without seeing exactly what you are trying to do its difficult
to know which options suit you best.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site