[Tutor] League Secretary Application

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Sat May 30 14:32:09 CEST 2015

Hello,

I'm the league secretary for a table tennis league.  I have to generate a
weekly results report, league table, and player averages, from results
cards which arrive by post or email.

The data is of the form:

Division: 1
Week: 7
Home: Some Team
Away: Different Team
Player A: Fred Bloggs
Player B: Nora Batty
Player X: Jim Smith
Player Y: Edna Jones
A vs X: 3-0
B vs Y: 3-2
A vs Y: 3-0
B vs X: 3-2
Doubles: 3-1

>From this I can calculate the points allocated to teams and produce a table.

I've not done any real python for about 6 years, but figured it'd be fun to
design and write something that would take away the time and error issues
associated with generating this manually.  Sure I could build a
spreadsheet, but this seems more fun.

I'm currently thinking through possible approaches, from parsing results
written in, eg YAML, to a menu-driven system, to a web app.  I'm generally
in favour of the simplest thing that could possibly work, but I am
conscious that there's a lot of room for data entry error and thus
validation, if I just parse a file, or make a CLI.  OTOH I have never ever
written a web app, with forms etc.

There's no time constraint here - this is merely for fun, and to make my
life easier.

Any thoughts?

S.