[Tutor] Help Learn python - Step by Step

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat May 9 19:08:00 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 3:23 AM, acolta <andrycolt007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I want to start coding in python. My background is Linux/Bash/Perl (begginner).
> My appreciate if somebody will recommend books/tutorials + exercises to practice.

This question comes up quite frequently. If you have not done so
already, try searching the Tutor archives.

If you have a good bookstore nearby that is likely to carry
programming-related books, you might just want to do some browsing and
then look at reviews online. My local Barnes & Noble (I'm in the USA.)
always has a selection of Python books.

And of course there are tons of online resources, including tutorials
on Python's official site. As always, a search engine is your good
friend. Also, Alan Gauld (Moderator for this list.) has a good one.
Look for one of his emails; he always has a link to it in his
signature area.

I am learning myself, and, being old-fashioned (I suppose.), I tend to
prefer hard-copy books. If you feel any degree of comfort writing Perl
scripts and programming in general, then you might jump into something
like Mark Summerfield's two book series, "Programming in Python 3, 2nd
ed." and "Python in Practice". If you want to go really deep and cover
pretty much everything, then Mark Lutz has two quite thick books,
"Learning Python, 5th ed." and "Programming Program, 4th ed." One nice
thing about the latter two books (Besides their completeness of
language coverage.) is that Lutz points out the differences between
Python 2 and 3 implementations, where appropriate.

But if you are really a beginner beginner and did not make it very far
in writing sophisticated Perl scripts, then you might enjoy something
like "Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 3rd ed." by
Michael Dawson and "More Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner"
by Jonathan S. Harbour. They both try to hold your interest and make
things fun by designing only game-related programs. They both
eventually use a form of the pygame module to get into graphics and
audio. And for the stuff you already understand you can quickly skim
through those portions.

Finally, there are very knowledgeable people here willing to help you,
but make certain you post your questions in a way that makes it easy
for them to offer their help. Their time is very valuable and their
efforts are entirely voluntary. So if you have not, please read the
auto-generated email that covers how to post questions to this list,
things like: Use plain text emails only; no top-posting (If you don't
know what that means, search for it.); give your operating system and
version of Python; think carefully about your question(s) and trim
your code down to something that is self-contained and shows the exact
problem you are experiencing; and, always post the *full* error report
Python generates.

HTH,

--
boB