[Tutor] Python program malfunction

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue May 5 01:31:23 CEST 2015

On 05/05/15 00:08, Jag Sherrington wrote:
> Hi, Alan
> > Enter the item's wholesale cost: 0.50
> (AFTER THIS LINE PRINTS I HIT ENTER AND WOULD
> EXPECT THE NEXT LINE TO GIVE ME THE RESULT

But why would it? Your print code is all inside a loop that
only runs if the price is negative. If you enter a positive
price that code will not execute.

Look at your code. Follow it through line by line.

> > while another == 'y' or another == 'y':
> >      wholesale = float(input("Enter the item's wholesale cost: "))
> >      while wholesale < 0:
> >          print('ERROR: the cost cannot be negative.')
> >          wholesale = float(input('Enter the correct wholesale cost: '))
> >
> >          #Calculate the retail price.
> >          retail = wholesale * mark_up
> >
> >          #Display the retail price.
> >          print('Retail price: $', format(retail, ',.2f'), sep='')
> >
> >          #Do this again.
> >          another = input('Do you have another item? ' + \
> >                          '(Enter y for yes): ')

I suspect that if you look at your books code the lines starting
#Calculate the retail price.
are all aligned under the first while not the second?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site