[Tutor] Questions (and initial responses) on using version control: Why cannot I push my single (master) branch to origin without an error occurring?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat May 2 06:19:43 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Albert-Jan Roskam <fomcl at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ----------------------------
> On Fri, May 1, 2015 5:39 AM CEST boB Stepp wrote:
>
>>I created my remote repository on, say my C-drive, with "git init".
>
> Not with 'git init --bare'?

Should I have used the option --bare? I was following along with the
book, "Pro Git", which is available free on-line via the Git website.

> I usually prefer initializing a remote with a readme, so I can simply clone it and then populate it with files. No 'git init' and 'git remote add' needed.

I'm not certain I am following you here. When you say you are
"initializing a remote with a readme", have you first run "git init"
or "git init --bare" in that directory? And I presume the readme is
the typical readme file that most projects have? And then you go to
your working directory and run your git clone command? And then as you
generate files in your working directory, you push them to the remote?

> This book is good: https://pragprog.com/book/pg_git/pragmatic-guide-to-git

Thanks for the link. Just now ordered it.

--
boB