[Tutor] What is wrong with my code?

Antonia van der Leeuw antonia.van.der.leeuw at hotmail.nl
Sun Mar 22 21:18:22 CET 2015

Hehey!

I'm learning python on a website called codecademy.com, where I made a
program to decode binary numbers. I guess the site uses a different
compiler, because on the site my code worked fine, but when I copied and
pasted it into the Python IDLE (3.4.2) it didn't work! I'm really don't know
what is wrong with my code, can anyone of you fine sirs help me?

Meh code:

number_input = input("What binary number do you want me to decode? ")

def decoder(number):

    number_backwards = str(number)[::-1] # Because binary numbers go from
right to left.

    result = 0

    value = 1

    br = False

    for n in number_backwards:

        if n != "1" and n != "0":

            print number, "is not a binary number"

            br = True

            break

        elif n == "1":

            result += value

        value += value

    if br == False:

        print "The binary number decoded is", result

decoder(number_input)

Thank you! ^^