[Tutor] Ipython Queries

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Mar 14 10:53:19 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:39:50PM +0530, Santosh Kumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have installed both python2 and python3 in my system . When i used
> ipython it by default goes to python2 base. How/what is the easy way to
> swith between python2 and python3 ?

I don't think there is an easy way on Windows, but I could be wrong. You
could try asking on a dedicated iPython mailing list. If you get an
answer, please come back and tell us here so we can learn too.

On Linux, install the ipython3 package. On Debian or Ubuntu systems,
try:

sudo aptitude install ipython3

and then run ipython3 instead of ipython. On Centos or Fedora systems:

sudo yum install ipython3

will probably work if your system isn't too old.

Or, you could try the instructions shown here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9386048/ipython-reads-wrong-python-version

but I would be surprised if it works.

(I just tried it, and it failed. You need to install all the ipython
libraries into Python 3.)

--
Steve