[Tutor] How linux software centers make “search” operation?

metis wisdom wisdomofmetis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:21:40 CET 2015

Hello, I want to develop a software center in Ubuntu similar to Ubuntu
software center. In ubuntu software center, when we type a keyword and hits
enter button, it displays us the related results. For example, when i
searched for "eclipse" keyword, 5 result are listed in ubuntu software
center.

I want to do the similar functionality in my software center.

I tried to solve this problem by making search in apt package manager using
bash command(apt search package_name), but it gives all packages as result,
approximately more than 100 packages.

How ubuntu software center and other software centers search a keyword?
Where do they search the keyword and retrieve results? Source code of
ubuntu software center is so complex and i cannot find what i need. Any
guide will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I analysed all source code of ubuntu software center. These codes includes
so many technologies that it is very hard to understand it. IN order to
understand these codes, i have to learn many technologies , it may take at
least one month,maybe this time may not be enough. After i spent so many
times learning these technologies, what if these technologies does not
solve my problem? I know only python, i am not familiar with os library
etc, and i have a limited time, please guide me. I need to build a simple
software center, not a sophisticated one.