[Tutor] string delimiters

richard kappler richkappler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 21:10:42 CEST 2015

for formatting a string and adding descriptors:

test = 'datetimepart1part2part3the_rest'
newtest = 'date='  + test[0:4] + ' time=' + test[4:8] + ' part1=' +
test[8:13] + ' part2=' + test[13:18] + ' part3=' + test[18:23] + ' the
rest=' + test[23:]

and while this may be ugly, it does what I want it to do.

The question is, if instead of 'the_rest' I have ']the_rest' and sometimes
there's not just one. how do I handle that?

In other words, this script will iterate over numerous lines in a file, and
each one is identical up to the delimiter before the rest, and sometimes
there is only one, sometimes there is two, they vary in length.

Can I stop using position numbers and start looking for specific characters
(the delimiter)  and proceed to the end (which is always a constant string
btw).

regards, Richard

--

Windows assumes you are an idiot…Linux demands proof.