[Tutor] a puzzle about -3**2 vs (-3)**2

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 31 12:36:22 CEST 2015

On 31/07/15 10:55, Jose Amoreira wrote:

> Given the precedence rules already mentioned by Alan and Todd, the
> results of the operations you showed us are exactly as expected. You'll
> get the same results if you try with a pocket calculator or using any
> other programming language or scientific package.

The point I was making is that you may NOT get the same results in any
other language. Each language designer is free to define his/her own
precedence rules. Most try to follow the rules of math, but some do not
(like Lisp using prefix notation rather than infix). Several languages
evaluate purely left to right, at least 1 goes from right to left.

In programming you have to learn the  language and not expect it to
conform to any preconceived ideas of how it *should* work.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site