[Tutor] Identifying V3 examples

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu Jul 23 20:50:10 CEST 2015

In a message of Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:55:13 -0400, Jon Paris writes:
>On Jul 23, 2015, at 10:41 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

<snip>

>> In these sorts of technical forums, email is a discussion between
>> multiple parties, not just two, often in slow motion (sometimes replies
>> may not come in for a week, or a month). Often, a single email will
>> reply to anything up to a dozen or twenty individual points. Top posting
>> works reasonably well for short replies answering one, maybe two brief
>> points where the context is obvious. In technical discussions like we
>> have here, that is rarely the case.

<snip more stuff, as Steve was fairly long-winded here.>

>> Steve
>

>See my response to Alan.
>

>Jon Paris
>jon.f.paris at gmail.com

Bottom posting is an improvement on top posting, but I see that you have
rapidly moved to the point where it is time for your next trick. :)

Including all the text and then adding a short comment on the bottom
is only a slight improvement on having a short comment on the top and
then including all the text.  Because right now I had to read all of
what Steve said, again, and once was more than enough for me. :)

So in order to be compassionate to your readers, you trim your reply,
deleting all the lines that aren't relevant.  I have marked these
places where I did a lot of deleting  with the text <snip> but that isn't
necessary.

Also some people like to use the combination %< %< %< or >% >% >%
because it looks like 3 scissors (at least with the font they are using).
If you see text like that, that is what is going on.

Laura