[Tutor] Identifying V3 examples

Jon Paris jon.paris at partner400.com
Thu Jul 23 16:54:09 CEST 2015

On Jul 23, 2015, at 10:18 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 23/07/15 14:59, Jon Paris wrote:
>
>> I am not familiar with the term “top post”
>
> See this wikipedia article which describes in detail all the
> alternatives along with their relative merits.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>
> including this commonly seen example:
>
> Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> >> Top-posting.
>
> Which with bottom posting becomes the more readable:

> >> Top-posting.
> > Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>
> Most technical mailing lists and newsgroups prefer interleaved
> posting where replies to individual points in a message are
> placed just under the relevant part of the message. Just as
> importantly all irrelevant parts of the message should be deleted.
>
> The common business practice of top posting was encouraged by
> Microsoft Outlook and results in many megabytes of wasted
> disk-space due to long threads of mail being posted multiple
> times in every reply to the thread. It used to drive me mad
> when I was a corporate wage slave... :-)
>
> --
> Alan G
> Author of the Learn to Program web site
> http://www.alan-g.me.uk/
> http://www.amazon.com/author/alan_gauld
> Follow my photo-blog on Flickr at:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/alangauldphotos

I’ve been posting to many different sites for twenty plus years and never had this kind of complaint. I can’t even find a way of telling my email client (Mac) to do it the way you want. Right now I’m manually changing every response to comply with the required etiquette.

Personally I find it more useful to see the response and then look below for the content. But that’s just me.

I will try not to bother you again.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com