[Tutor] Don't get it

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 26 15:46:21 CET 2015

On 26/02/15 11:52, Fatimah Taghdi wrote:
> I have a qestion about understanding my assignment. I was wonerding if it
> is possible for someone to expalin. it

Your teacher maybe?

As it is you have taken a question which puzzles you,
sent us only a part of it and somehow expect us to understand
it all based only on your partial information.

> This assignment question will give you practice with recursive
> backtracking. You are to create a class called AnagramSolver that uses a
> word list to find all combinations of words that have the same letters as a
> given phrase.

That rather depends on what the definition of a "word" is.
If its any combination of the letters given its not too difficult.
If they must be valid words then you need a definitive list (ie a
lexicon) to check against.

> You might want to first look at the sample log of execution at
> the end of this part of the assignment

Maybe that would help us too?

> and i am unsure of how to work with these guidlines for the constructor of
> the class
>
>   A constructor, __init__. Takes a list of words, and constructs an anagram
> solver that will use the given list as its dictionary. It is not to modify
> the list

Is that last paragraph your interpretation or part of the assignment? If
the latter then letting us see any other hints might help us figure out
what your teacher is thinking of. As it is we can only make wild guesses.

Have you tried asking your teacher for clarification?
In my experience most teachers are happy to help if
you ask intelligent questions that show you have
seriously thought about the assignment first,

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site