[Tutor] OT: Preferred email client for sending plain text programming code snippets

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 18 00:48:30 CET 2015

On 17/02/15 23:23, boB Stepp wrote:

> So are there any recommendations from this group that would make
> things easy, would still be able to receive/send from my Gmail
> account, etc.?

Thunderbird seems to work for me.

I use it for 4 different email accounts (including both yahoo
and gmail) as well as over a dozen newsgroups,
mostly from gmane (including c.l.p, tutor and tkinter).

It can also handle RSS feeds apparently but I don't use that.

Some of the accounts I set up to use rich text, others I use plain text.
Each account has its own settings.

And it works on both my Linux and Windows. By using IMAP I can
open any account on any box and see the same mail setup. And in
most cases using my Android phone does the same too...

The downsides?
Occasionally, while editing/composing it blanks out a line of
text so it becomes invisible and I have to select the line to
get it back. Hopefully a patch will fix that soon.

I don't particularly like the split UI where the message
action buttons are on a toolbar in the middle of the window
(at the top of the message preview).

I also don't like when it tries to be too clever. Sometimes it
detects list email addresses and replaces the Reply-All button
with Reply-List. This is very bad, especially with another
list I help moderate. When I'm discussing an iffy mail with
my fellow moderators it tries to send it to the list because
it detects the list address in the body of the mail - NOT
what I want! I've had some embarrassing moments because of that!

But overall it does what I want, most of the time.

hth
--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site