[Tutor] Help with program

Courtney Skinner courtneyelizabeth983 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 17:27:04 CET 2015

Hello,

I am trying to build a program that approximates the value of cosine - this is my program so far. It is not returning the right values. Could you tell me what I am doing wrong?

def main():

    import math

    print("This program approximates the cosine of x by summing")
    print("the terms of this series:  x^0 / 0!, -x^2 / 2!,")
    print("x^4 / 4!, -x^6 / 6!...")

    n = eval(input("How many terms should be used? "))
    x = eval(input("What value should be used for x? "))

    s = 1
    d = 1
    e = 1

    value = 0

    for i in range(n - 1):
        value = value + s + (x**e / math.factorial(d))

        s = s * 1
        e = e + 2
        d + d + 2

        print("Approximation for cos(x) calculated by this program: ")
        print(value)
        print()

        difference = math.cos(x) - value

        print("Difference between this value and math.cos(x): ")
        print(difference)

main()

Thank you!

C.Skinner