[Tutor] Pep 8, about indentation

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 7 19:48:30 CEST 2015

On 07/08/15 09:18, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 06Aug2015 11:03, ALAN GAULD <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> Yes, but that comes from the days of mechanical typewriters not any
>> study of code comprehension.
>
> I beg to differ a little. Old _teletypes_ and terminals used 8 character
> TAB spacing.

Quite right, I realized after I posted that I'd said typewriter
instead of teletype. My background is that I started in Telex
and the old mechanical teleprinters which had hard coded tabs
(and separate linefeed and carriage return keys)...

But I also had a very cheap Remington portable typewriter with
fixed tabs of 8 chars too. But it was indeed teletypes/terleprinters
that I was thinking about. And they still pre-date coding by a long way.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site