[Tutor] How to design object interactions with an SQLite db?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 1 19:40:20 CEST 2015

On 01/08/2015 17:34, boB Stepp wrote:
> I have never written programs to interact with a db.  I have never written an OO program.  So this is getting interesting rather quickly!
>
> As I continue to ponder my project design, I see many of the classes I wish to create map naturally to db tables.  For instance the class Student can potentially have many data attributes, which fit naturally into its own db table.
>
> My current thoughts are that I have two main ways of approaching this:
>
> 1)  Create my various objects normally, but have their data attributes fetched through some sort of db manager class I would design.

This is the interface that I use on my own personal, mission critical,
cashflow forecast.

con = sqlite3.connect(sqliteFileName,
detect_types=sqlite3.PARSE_DECLTYPES | sqlite3.PARSE_COLNAMES)
con.row_factory = sqlite3.Row

What this gives you is documented here
https://docs.python.org/3/library/sqlite3.html#sqlite3.Connection.row_factory
and here https://docs.python.org/3/library/sqlite3.html#sqlite3.Row

I also create views in the database and select from them rather than do
the join within code.

All very simple but very effective.

> 2)  Use an ORM (Object-Relational Manager) such as SQLAlchemy to manage interactions between my objects and the SQLite db.

Take a look at the comparison here
http://www.pythoncentral.io/sqlalchemy-vs-orms/  It mentions peewee
which I played with in my cashflow forecast but found it to be overkill
for my simple needs. I've also heard good things about Storm and
PonyORM.  SQLAlchemy and SQLObject are the big names, the rest I can't
comment on.

> Both routes will be quite educational for me.  Option (2), if I am understanding things correctly, would be more likely to make it relatively easy to change from SQLite to a more sophisticated server-based db in the future incarnations of this project.
>
> Thoughts?

Start prototyping with my simple approach.  If that works for you just
stick with it.  If not try one of the simpler ORMs like peewee or
PonyORM.  Stick with it if it's good enough, else go for one of the
heavyweights.  I prefer this approach as it's fairly easy in Python to
throw something away and have another go, and I like to keep things as
simple and straight forward as possible.  I'm sure others would take the
opposite approach and start with a heavyweight.  For you I'd suggest the
best path to take depends on the number of tables you'll actually be
creating.  If it's small cutting over from SQLite to some other db
should be relatively easy.  If it's medium to large perhaps you're
better off starting off with the heavyweight of your choice at the
start.  I do know one thing, you won't find out until you try it :)

> --
> boB

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence