[Tutor] name shortening in a csv module output

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Apr 25 13:27:55 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 01:04:57PM +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:46:20 +1000, "Steven D'Aprano" writes:
> >The Japanese, Chinese and Korean
> >governments, as well as linguists, are all in agreement that despite a
> >few minor differences, the three languages share a common character set.
>
> I don't think that is quite the way to say it.  There are characters,
> which look exactly the same in all three languages, and the linguists
> are mostly in agreement that the reason they look the same is that the
> are the same.
>
> But it is more usual to write Korean, these days, not with Chinese
> characters, (hanja) but with hangul.  In the 15th century, the King,
> Sejong the great decided that Koreans needed a phoenetic alphabet, and
> made one.   It doesn't look anything like chinese.  And it is a phonetic,
> alphabetic langauge, not a stroke-and-character one.

Thanks for the correction Laura, I didn't know that Korean has two
separate writing systems. But I did know that Japanese has at least two,
one based on Chinese characters and the other not, and that Chinese
itself has traditional and simplified versions of their characters.
Beyond that, it's all Greek to me :-)

--
Steve