[Tutor] How (not!) lengthy should functions be?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sun Apr 19 00:46:37 CEST 2015

On 04/18/2015 03:01 PM, boB Stepp wrote:

> As I final note I want to emphasize that I am not writing a program to
> *create* a treatment plan. Nor am I writing a program that can *alter*
> an existing treatment plan. It is merely reading output from the
> treatment plan and evaluating that output against agreed upon best
> practice numbers. If this program never gets implemented it will
> change nothing in how plans are created and implemented. If it does

I'd still point out that eventually people will presumably get to
believing in your program.  They'll subconsciously assume that if they
mess up, the program will notice, so they don't have to be as careful as
they otherwise would.

There's nothing you can do about this; it's human nature.  So I claim
that making sure the advice your program offers has
   1) few bugs.  And what it has should be crashes, not just getting the
wrong result.
   2) Careful wording of the messages to indicate the confidence level
of the conclusion it's relating.

--
DaveA