[Tutor] Command Line Editting: How to improve options?

J L jnl_public at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 01:02:26 CEST 2015

Thank you Steve.

This electronic mail including any attachments may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination of this electronic email or its contents including any attachments is prohibited without prior consent.

     On Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:09 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

 On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 06:36:03AM +0000, J L wrote:
>  Win 7Python v 3.4.3
> I'm new to Python and only have coursework under my belt in another
> object oriented programming language as well as limited systems
> skills. After launching Python from the command line with py.exe, it
> appears that the interrupter starts up fine. I've read on Python.Org's
> site in a tutorial section that some interrupters offer command line
> editing beyond simple use of the arrow keys and backspace. It does not
> appear that my environment is allowing these greater abilities. How
> does one afford increased abilities to edit commands within Python's
> interrupter? Thank you.

Sadly, Windows does not offer much in the way of powerful interactive
commands like most Linux shells do. You can try these options:

- try using Python's IDLE:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+run+IDLE+python

- Use a commercial third-party IDE ("Integrated Development
Environment") such as PyCharm, Anaconda or Komodo. Some of them may cost
money, but they may have free or trial versions.

- Or a third-party editor such as Spyder, if it comes with its own
interactive shell.

- I can strongly recomment iPython, which is very powerful and includes
a lot of command-line features that even Linux shells don't:

http://ipython.org/
‎
If you've used Mathematica, you may love iPython's "notepad" feature.

Now we start getting to slightly more complex options, which may not
work, but it would be interesting to try:

- Try installing pyreadline, and see it is will work with Python 3.4. If
it does, you might be able to convince Python 3.4's rlcompleter module
to work with it.

- Still if pyreadline works with Python 3.4, you might like my command
line tab completer and history module rather than the built-in one:

http://code.google.com/p/tabhistory/source/browse/tabhistory.py

I've never tested it on Windows, so I don't know if it will actually
work or not.

Good luck!

--
Steve