[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 127, Issue 12

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 00:45:28 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 04/09/14 21:37, Najam Qasim wrote:
>> I downloaded notepad++. Can you please help me how to run python script in
>> notepad++?
>
> I only played with notepad++ briefly but I seem to recall it had a menu with
> commands to 'make' and 'run' a file. You could configure the commands
> associated with those menus in the settings somewhere.

I use Notepad++ all the time as my go-to text editor - but I don't use
it as an IDE precisely, because it doesn't have an integrated
interpreter/debugger/etc.  There _is_ a Run menu, but it's just a
generic program launcher; I think your memory is playing tricks on you
as far as a Make command is concerned.  Notepad++ does have a large
plugin ecosystem, and there may be some IDE-ish plugins out there, but
that's not really what the program is meant for.

> Hopefully somebody who currently uses the editor can provide clearer help.
> Meantime just save the file and run it from the Windows Explorer or (better)
> an OS command prompt
This would be my advice also.