[Tutor] Newbie Trouble Processing SRT Strings In Text File

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Fri Oct 31 18:18:16 CET 2014

[code cut]

Hi Matt,

It looks like you're trying to write your own srt parser as part of this
problem.  If you're in a hurry, you may want to look at existing parsers
that people have written.  For example:

    https://github.com/byroot/pysrt

But, even though it successfully kills these additional newlines that
> seem to form in the list-making process...I end up with basically a
> non-concatenated file of strings...with the right spaces I need, but
> not one big chunk of text, like I expect using the s.strip('\n')
> functionality.

Rather than immediately print the string, you may want to accumulate your
results in a list.  You can then do some processing on your list of strings.