[Tutor] what am I not understanding?

Clayton Kirkwood crk at godblessthe.us
Wed Oct 22 00:43:46 CEST 2014

!-----Original Message-----
!From: Tutor [mailto:tutor-bounces+crk=godblessthe.us at python.org] On
!Behalf Of Dave Angel
!Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:51 AM
!To: tutor at python.org
!Subject: Re: [Tutor] what am I not understanding?
!
!"Clayton Kirkwood" <crk at godblessthe.us> Wrote in message:
!> Thanks all for the insight. I'm not sure I fully understand all of the
!> code snippets, but in time...
!>
!> This is finally what I came up with:
!>
!> raw_table = ('''
!> a: Ask	y: Dividend Yield
!> b: Bid	d: Dividend per Share
!> b2: Ask (Realtime)	r1: Dividend Pay Date
!> b3: Bid (Realtime)	q: Ex-Dividend Date
!> p: Previous Close
!> o: Open
!> Date
!> ''')
!>
!>
!> import re, string
!> dict={}
!> key_name = raw_table.replace('\t','\n') for each_line in
!> key_name.splitlines():
!>     if ':' in each_line:				#this design had to
!> do with a few different lines
!>         for key, value in [each_line.split(':')]:	#see the last line
!> in the data. I still don't fully
!>             dict[key.strip()] = value.strip()	#understand the
second
!for
!> and the square brackets.
!>
!> #I presume that they force the source to look and feel like a tuple or
!> list, but not sure. I think they force two strings into a two items of
!a tuple???
!> Please let me know if I munged bad code together:<))
!
!I dont think you want the for loop at all. It just undoes the  mistake
!of the extra brackets. Try replacing the for loop with
! :
!
!     key, value in each_line.split(':')
!
!And dedent the following line

Yep, that worked well. Thanks. I was lead to my initial line by something
else not working.

Clayton

!
!
!--
!DaveA
!
!Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org
!To unsubscribe or change subscription options: