[Tutor] Installing both Python 2.7 and Python 3.4 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit: Install Python 2.7 FIRST!

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 05:57:24 CEST 2014

I am hoping to save other people the grief I just worked through. I
wanted to run both Python 2 and 3 on my windows PC, and, after
googling this topic found that with Python 3.3 or later one could
easily do both. So I merrily installed Python 3.4.2 first and then
Python 2.7.8. A Python 3 program that had been working fine suddenly
stopped working. After working down to a test portion of code that
isolated the culprit I realized my Python 3 program was being
interpreted by Python 2. I soon found that installing Python 2 first
and then 3 enabled both to happily coexist. If there was a mention
about the order of installation anywhere during my searches, I missed
it. Anyway, I hope that my experience helps some other newbie who
wants to play around with both major versions.

--
boB