[Tutor] Doubts about installing python3.1 in squeeze

Markos markos at c2o.pro.br
Fri May 23 13:50:10 CEST 2014

On 22-05-2014 13:22, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2014-05-22 06:17, Markos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm learning Python and I'm using Debian 6.0 (squeeze)
>>
>> The installed version is 2.6.6. (python -V)
>>
>> I have seen some recommendations for beginners to invest in version 3.
>>
>> I found package of Python 3.1 in repository for squeeze.
>>
>> I am considering installing Python 3.1 with
>>
>> apt-get install python3.1
>>
>> But I found the site
>> http://www.circuidipity.com/python2-and-python3.html information on
>> how to keep the two versions using virtualenv.
>>
>> Also I found in the /usr/bin python2.5 and python2.6
>>
>> And in /usr/lib python2.4, python2.5 and python2.6
>>
>> Can I just run apt-get install python3.1 or should I do any other
>> configuration?
>>
>> I'm confused.
>>

>> Are there any risk to install python3.1 and some programs stop working
>> on my debian squeeze?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips?
>> Markos
>
> On Ubuntu both v2 and v3 are installed by default.
> Have you tried typing
> python3
> on the command line?
> If you get the interpreter, it's installed.
> Then you just have to use a different shebang line in your code files:
> #!/usr/bin/env python3
>
> I don't have a debian system close at hand to test this myself.
>
> alex

Dear,

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I tried to install python3.1 with the command

apt-get install python3.1

and use the shebang #!/usr/bin/env python3 in the source code header.

It works.

But to use Tkinter I also had to install the package python3-tk

apt-get intall python3-tk

Now I have in /usr/bin

python python3 python2.5 python2.6 python3.1

python is a link to python2.6 and python3 is a link to python3.1

Until now everything is working.

Markos