[Tutor] Doubts about installing python3.1 in squeeze

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Thu May 22 18:22:27 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-22 06:17, Markos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm learning Python and I'm using Debian 6.0 (squeeze)
>
> The installed version is 2.6.6. (python -V)
>
> I have seen some recommendations for beginners to invest in version 3.
>
> I found package of Python 3.1 in repository for squeeze.
>
> I am considering installing Python 3.1 with
>
> apt-get install python3.1
>
> But I found the site
> http://www.circuidipity.com/python2-and-python3.html information on
> how to keep the two versions using virtualenv.
>
> Also I found in the /usr/bin python2.5 and python2.6
>
> And in /usr/lib python2.4, python2.5 and python2.6
>
> Can I just run apt-get install python3.1 or should I do any other
> configuration?
>
> I'm confused.
>

> Are there any risk to install python3.1 and some programs stop working
> on my debian squeeze?
>
> Thanks for any tips?
> Markos

On Ubuntu both v2 and v3 are installed by default.
Have you tried typing
python3
on the command line?
If you get the interpreter, it's installed.
Then you just have to use a different shebang line in your code files:
#!/usr/bin/env python3

I don't have a debian system close at hand to test this myself.

alex