[Tutor] How to create web interface?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed May 21 01:36:12 CEST 2014

On 20/05/14 21:00, P McCombs wrote:
> On May 14, Danny Yoo wrote:
>>> Another option might be to turn your program into a web site, so that
>>> the interface is the web browser, which everyone is getting used to
>>> these days.  But this, too, is also... involved.  :P
>
> I have a little volunteer scheduling application I've written as a
> module, with about a dozen functions, that reads and writes to a
> Sqlite database. I'd like to run a web server on my machine just for
> my local use.
>
> I don't understand how precisely the web page would communicate with
> the python program.

If you want to understand the basics then the cgi module in the standard
lib is a good starting point. It makes life a bit
easier than nothing but exposes the underlying technology.

But if you want something to keep you sane and make web
programming easy then Pyhon has more web frameworks than
you can shake a stick at. From very simple (Flask, CherryPy)
to very complex (Django, Zope).

There is a good page on the python.org web site that summarises
the technology and many of the most popular frameworks but
ultimately you just pick one and work through its tutorial.

Start here for theory:

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/webservers.html

and go here for the list:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks