[Tutor] Printing from python

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Mar 14 19:19:13 CET 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 11:40 +0100, Ulrich Goebel wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> is there another way to pritt a PDF form python?
>
> My problem is a PDF which is printed well by evince, but not with lp,
> even not out of python using
>
> os.system("lp some_options file.pdf")

Python is deprecating os.system in favour of using the subprocess
package.

	subprocess.call('lp some_options file.pdf', shell=True)

or

	subprocess.call(['lp', *some_options, 'file.pdf')

assuming some_options is a sequence of strings, on option per string.

> Later on I have to build the PDF in a python program (using reportlab)
> and then print it, even from the python program.
>
> So I look for a (nice documented) library which give access to the CUPS
> API or something else to print the PDF from python.
>
> Any help is welcome!

Debian Sid has packages python-cups and python-cupshelpers which are
Python 2 APIs for working with CUPS. Sadly there do not seem to be
Python 3 versions of these In Debian, but the package in PyPI is pycups
so can be made available to Pytho 3. Also:

http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/pycups/

I have not used these yet myself, but I have trying them out on my
agenda for later in the spring.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk