[Tutor] Trying to read dBase files

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 11 20:18:54 CET 2014

On 11/03/14 18:39, Al Bull wrote:

> I'm new to python and want to use it to create an application to read one or
> more dbase files,  manipulate some data,  and create a new file.

You could also try the Dabo project, it is an IDE for building DBase
like apps. I think it supports reading Foxpro(aka DBASE) files.

> I am using Python 3.3.  I did some google searches and found something
> called dbfpy to read dbase, so I downloaded and installed it.
>
>    File "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\dbfpy\dbf.py", line 260
>      print repr(_rec)
>               ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

You are using Python 3.3 so print is a function.
You need to use

       print( repr(_rec) )

> My assumption is that this module is written for an earlier release of
> Python?

That may be true too, but your problem is in the print line.

> Some other google searches suggested using microsofts ODBC drivers for
> dBase, so I downloaded and installed pyodbc and got this:

Yes thats possible too if you are on a Windows platform.

> Python 3.3.4 (v3.3.4:7ff62415e426, Feb 10 2014, 18:12:08) [MSC v.1600 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win32
> Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
> Driver};SERVER=localhost;DATABASE={Q:\TWS\MAILMERGE\BIL00008.DBF}')
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> Do I have the driver name incorrect?

Sorry can't help with that one!

HTH