[Tutor] Help with Guess the number script

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:15:48 CET 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> As a newbie don't worry about it (yet).  Personally I think it's plain daft
> to put such advanced language topics on a tutor mailing list.

Different strokes for different folks. I like to tinker with and
disassemble things as I'm learning about them. I would have been
ecstatic about open source as a kid. I learn simultaneously from the
top down and bottom up -- outside to inside and inside to outside. I
need an abstract overview (a map) combined with a concrete
realization. Tell me and show me -- and let me tinker and experiment.
If learning isn't fun, I'm not learning.

The Python language reference, while being far more accessible than an
ISO standard or technical report, is still an abstract, highly verbal
specification. I understand it, but I don't truly 'grok' a lot of
things until I see how it's implemented in bytecode, or even down to
the C source level. Putting the two together, I meet in the middle
with a better understanding of how it works.