[Tutor] Is this possible for a newbie?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 21 01:24:54 CEST 2014

On 20/07/14 21:57, keith papa wrote:

> me. My idea is simple I want to create a program that I can enter name
> and some information about a player, for example:
>

> NFL plays:
> Jamaal Charles RB : ATT 259 , YDS 1,287 , AVG 5.0, TD 12, REC 70
> Tony Romo QB: CMP% 63.9, YDS 3,828 , TD 31, INT 10, Rating 96.7
> Dez Bryant WR: REC 93, YDS 1,233, AVG 13.3, LNG 79, TD 13
> and other players information.

Thus far its easy.

> I want to be able to ask the program whichQB is best on my list and it
> give me the names of all the QB on my list,

Really? I'd have thought you wanted only the 'best' one - however you
define best...

> or ask for WR on my list and it gives me all the WR on my list,

This is easier

> and also I want to be able to crossed out name simply by typing the players name.

I'm not sure what crossed out means in this contexzt?
Is that a technical term in US football(?) or do you
simply mean you want to delete the entry?

> What do I need to lean in order to accomplish this? string, variable
> functions?

You would be best working througfh a general purpose introduction.
Can you program already in another language or are you new to
programming as well as Python?

Either way there are tutorials on the Python web site that can
help. Once you have completed one of these your project should
be straightforward.

But trying to learn only the minimum needed for your project
will in variable lead to frustration as you keep finding
new things you need to learn, but not in any logical order.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site