[Tutor] Python 2 Vs python 3

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 19:50:44 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM,  <idiallo.spsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> ‎Hi All,
>
> I am in the process to dive into python and start learning it. But most
> books advice to install python 2 instead of ‎python 3. Any advice from the
> ones with the experiences and what is the main difference?

Many people advise using  3.x if you are totally new to python.  The
downside to python 3.x is that some 3rd party modules and packages are
not available.  That shouldn't matter to a new learner.  On the other
hand, if you find a tutorial that uses 2.7 and you like the tutorial,
you might want to stay there.  There is a lot of python 2.x code
running, and its not going away anytime soon.

I haven't tried python 3.x yet.  The two differences that get talked
about most are 'print' is a statement in 2.x and a function in 3.x.
Unicode support was reworked in 3.x and so if you are working with
non-english characters, you might lean to using 3.x

> Thanks,
>
> I.
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Joel Goldstick