[Tutor] Anti-Patterns in Python Programming

Deb Wyatt codemonkey at inbox.com
Sat Jul 12 18:43:30 CEST 2014

>> So much has been invented since my dos programming days and it is
>> overwhelming,
>
> Actually very little has been *invented* since your DOS days.
> Almost everything we do today was already around back then.

I knew someone was going to say that.  Maybe it's the jargon
that has been invented?

Some questions I have at the moment:

1.  What is functional programming?
2.  What is procedural programming?
3.  What are data patterns?
4.  What are regular expression?

I worked for a private company for a while where I was the only
programmer, then I worked for the Commonwealth of Kentucky,
and then University of Washington, where I created and
maintained database applications. I never heard of any of those
things prior to the past few months since I started dipping my
toes back in (more like total immersion, jeeze).  So maybe all
this stuff has been around but I sure never heard of it.

Almost every time I post a question on here, I get my hand
slapped by someone, and the favorite thing for you all to say to
newbies is "read the tutorial."  The tutorial is over our heads
in a lot of cases because of the jargon, at least at first.  And
so many times things are explained with C++ as an example.

My favorite useless thing I have run across on the internet is
the answer to what does hashable mean?  From stack overflow:

"An object is hashable if it has a hash value which never changes
during its lifetime (it needs a __hash__() method), and can be
compared to other objects (it needs an __eq__() or __cmp__()
method). Hashable objects which compare equal must have the same
hash value."

what is a hash value?  What's a _hash_() method (or any of those
other methods)?

You all take this understanding for granted, but it's not common
knowledge for the rest of the world. I bet if I talked knitting
and fiber jargon you all wouldn't understand much of what I was
talking about lol.

Sorry this is so long, but if this list is to be useful for people
the information needs to be understandable by the lay person
and maybe you all don't realize how much you take for granted.

Deb in WA, USA